Our history and foundations in Wheeling
Ohio Valley Health Services & Education Corporation, the parent company of Ohio Valley Medical Center in Wheeling and East Ohio Regional Hospital in Martins Ferry, was established in 1982. OVHS&E is a nationally recognized healthcare organization, receiving numerous awards and accolades for excellence in patient care, innovation, and financial and operational turnaround efforts. Ohio Valley Medical Center, located in Wheeling West Virginia, and East Ohio Regional Hospital, located in Martins Ferry Ohio, are a 340 bed combined organization with over 1,600 employees providing the area’s only comprehensive behavioral and mental health services and board certified emergency services on both sides of the Ohio River.
Ohio Valley Medical Center, founded in 1890 as City Hospital, is a 200-bed health care facility located in the heart of downtown Wheeling, West Virginia. While the building has been remodeled and greatly expanded throughout the years, the architecture dates back to the Ohio Valley General Hospital School of Nursing that was established on the campus of OVGH in 1892 as the first school of nursing in the state of West Virginia. Ohio Valley Medical Center, in affiliation with the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, is home to an osteopathic medicine residency program offering residencies in internal medicine, emergency medicine, and traditional internal/emergency medicine fields. In addition, OVMC is also home to the OVMC School of Radiologic Technology, a two-year hospital-based education program. As a community-focused hospital, OVMC works closely with local colleges and universities to provide clinical rotations and practical instruction opportunities for healthcare providers of tomorrow.
Founded in 1906 as Martins Ferry Hospital by local physician Dr. R.H. Wilson, East Ohio Regional Hospital is a 140-bed health care facility located in downtown Martins Ferry, Ohio. Having begun its tradition of healing with only 30 beds and five physicians, EORH has flourished with the expansion of services and the addition of new health care facilities and centers. With the growth of programs and services, EORH works in conjunction with the East Ohio Medical Office Building and outpatient services centers, East Ohio Medical Complex I and East Ohio Medical Complex II located in St. Clairsville, Ohio. EORH is home to the federally funded Respiratory and Occupational Black Lung Clinic as well as a certified skilled/rehabilitation unit.